Table of Contents
You might have heard about the rising popularity of glamping – but what is it?
Below, we’ll cover everything you need to know about glamping and how it provides many of the comforts of home while immersing you in natural beauty, giving you the best of both worlds.
What Is Glamping?
Glamping is a luxurious form of camping that combines the beauty of nature with the comforts of modern amenities. It offers a unique and upscale experience for those who want to enjoy the great outdoors without sacrificing comfort or convenience. It’s popular in the same areas people head to for regular camping – desserts, the mountains, national parks, and so much more.
Where Did the Term Come From?
The term “glamping” is a combination of the words “camping” and “glamour.” It was first coined in the United Kingdom in 2005 (and was later added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2016), but glamping has been around for centuries. Many cultures have their own versions of glamping, from the Bedouin tents in the Middle East to the yurts used by nomadic tribes in Mongolia and lavish tents set up for King James V and his mother by the Scots in the 16th century.
What Is the Point of Glamping?
The point of glamping is to provide an immersive outdoor experience with the added luxury and comfort that many travellers desire. It’s a way to disconnect from everyday life and reconnect with nature in a more comfortable setting. Glam camping also allows you to try unique accommodations and experiences that may not be available at traditional hotels.
What Are the Benefits of Glamping?
If you’re considering glamping, you may be curious about the benefits of regular camping or a traditional hotel stay. Here’s what you can look forward to:
One of the main benefits of glamping is convenience. Everything from your bed and furniture to your lighting and cooking equipment is often provided for you, making it easier to pack and less work once you arrive at your destination. You also often enjoy the convenience of real amenities like cooking equipment, power for your devices, and electricity – but this can vary, so check your specific accommodations to see what they come with.
Compromise Between Camping and Hotel
Another benefit of glamping is that it offers a compromise between camping and staying in a hotel. You can enjoy the beautiful outdoors while still having access to comfortable beds, indoor plumbing, and more, depending on where you go. It’s an excellent option for those who may not be fans of traditional camping but still want to experience nature.
Glamping is an enjoyable year-round activity. Unlike camping, you don’t have to worry about weather conditions as much since you’ll be staying in a shelter that protects you from the elements. As a result, you can plan your glam camping trip any time of year without worrying about rain, snow, or extreme temperatures ruining your experience as long as your accommodations are equipped for the conditions.
Glamping is a family-friendly activity that all ages can enjoy. The convenience and comfort make it an ideal choice for families with young children, making travelling easier without worrying about roughing it in the wilderness.
Children will love the unique accommodations and fun activities many glamping sites offer. It’s also great for older family members who cannot sleep on the ground in a sleeping bag with traditional camping. You can even enjoy glamping right in your backyard to keep it closer to home while still feeling more special than simply pitching a tent.
A New Experience
Glamping offers a new experience every time you go. With so many types of glam camping and locations to choose from, each trip can feel like a brand-new adventure. You can try different accommodations and destinations, making each experience unique and memorable while going outside the standard hotel stay.
Types of Glamping
Glamping comes in many shapes and sizes, and every glamping experience will differ from the last. Check out some of the many different types of glamping experiences available:
- Tents: Glamping tents come in various sizes and styles, from spacious ones equipped with furniture and beds to cosy bell tents decorated with fairy lights. You can still enjoy the comforts of power even in a tent by bringing a RIVER 2 Series Solar Generator like the RIVER 2 + 110W Solar Panel, which is lightweight and compact enough for short trips.
- Cabins: Glamping cabins are perfect for those who want a more traditional camping experience without sacrificing comfort. They can range from simple log cabins to luxurious chalets with high-end amenities.
- Pods: Pods are small, self-contained units that often look like tiny cabins. They’re great for couples or solo travellers who want a cosy and private space.
- Yurts: Traditional yurts have been used by nomadic tribes in Mongolia for centuries, but now they’ve become a popular option for glampers. These circular tents offer unique charm and comfort.
- Tree Houses: Who hasn’t dreamed of staying in a treehouse as a kid? Glam-camping treehouses come with all the necessary comforts, plus stunning views from up high in nature.
- Safari Tents: For those who want to experience the great outdoors without sacrificing luxury, safari tents offer a comfortable and stylish option. These large tents often have wooden flooring and furniture for added comfort. You’ll feel especially luxe in your safari tent if you bring along an EcoFlow RIVER 2 Max + 160W Solar Panel, which can power small appliances to keep you warm (or cool).
- Tiny House: Tiny houses are a popular trend, and now you can experience them while glam-camping. These tiny homes offer all the modern amenities you’d expect but in a compact space.
- Motorhomes and Camper Vans: Glamping doesn’t always have to mean staying in tents or cabins. You can also opt for a luxurious motorhome or camper van equipped with all the comforts of home. Bonus points if they also work as transportation so that you can take your amenities and comfort with you on the go.
- Dome: Domes are becoming a popular glam-camping option, especially for those who want to immerse themselves in nature. These unique structures offer panoramic views and are often equipped with luxurious amenities.
- Cave: If you’re feeling adventurous, why not try glamping in a cave? These unique accommodations offer a one-of-a-kind experience and the chance to stay in a truly natural setting. But if you’re worried about things feeling too far out of your comfort zone in a cave, you can always bring a sense of security with you by packing the RIVER 2 Pro + 220W Solar Panel, which can power 80% of home appliances so you’ll always have the power you expect.
What Is the Difference Between Camping and Glamping?
While camping and glamping both involve spending time in nature, there are some notable differences between the two. Here are a few key distinctions.
Camping usually involves staying in a tent or motorhome. On the other hand, glamping offers luxurious options like cabins, yurts, and tiny houses that are made to feel more luxe with additions such as real furniture instead of just sleeping bags and tents.
Traditional camping often means roughing it with limited amenities, while glamping offers modern comforts such as beds, electricity, and even indoor plumbing. If you prefer not to rough it and enjoy the comforts of home, glamping is a great compromise.
Camping typically focuses on outdoor activities like hiking and fishing, while glam camping can offer a broader range of activities such as spa treatments, wine tastings, and more. Those who aren’t naturally inclined to the outdoors may find more that interests them in glamping.
Frequently Asked Questions
Whether glamping is more expensive than camping ultimately depends on the type of glamping experience you choose. While some options may be more costly than traditional camping (like safari tents or tiny homes), budget-friendly glamping options (like tents with furniture, cabins, or treehouses) are also available.
Glamping can be a fantastic option for those who want to experience nature without sacrificing comfort and convenience. If you want to get a taste of the camping experience without roughing it in nature, glamping can allow you to disconnect from everyday life while still enjoying modern luxuries and unique accommodations.
Glamping offers the best of both worlds – the beauty and adventure of camping with the comfort of a hotel.
So why not plan your next getaway and try out glamping for yourself? To make your next trip unforgettable, browse our selection of solar generators at EcoFlow to bring power along with you so you can enjoy your favourite comforts from home.