As a photographer, you know that a reliable power source is just as vital for a successful shoot as your camera and the lights. Power is a must, whether you’re shooting wedding photos outside, working on an outdoor editorial shoot, or own a studio in an area with frequent power outages.
Enter the solar generator.
A solar generator can do everything from charging all your devices to running on-set appliances. And it can keep the power going even when the golden hour is over, and the sun goes down.
Here are the best solar generators for photo shoots on the market in 2022:
7 Best Solar Generators for Photo Shoots
Want to ensure you always have power at your photo shoots? Electricity can be finicky. Rely on solar power with take-anywhere generators from EcoFlow:
The modular design of the EcoFlow River 2 makes it easily customizable to get the power when and how you need it. And once you’ve used all the power it stores, you can recharge it quickly in just 3 hours using solar power. Perfect for traveling photoshoots, outdoor sets, or after-hours work, the River 2 model is a solid choice for the photographer on the go.
- Size: 9.6 x 8.5 x 5.7 in (245 x 214 x 142 mm)
- Weight: 7.7 lbs (3.5 kg)
- Capacity: 256Wh
- Outputs: 2 AC outputs, 300W total
- Powerful capacity in a compact size
- Quick charge so you can keep shooting all day
- Light enough to travel with
- Works in extreme weather
- Several output ports
- Devices limited to 360W AC and 100W DC
The EcoFlow River 2 Max is the largest of the portable solar generators in the River 2 series. With double the capacity of the original River 2 model, the Max gives you more power to work with—perfect for day-long photo shoots or events where you need to keep your devices going all day long.
Like the other River 2 models, you can quickly recharge the Max in just 1 hour.
- Size: 10.6 x 10.2 x 7.7 in (270 x 260 x 196mm)
- Weight: 13.4 lbs (6.1 kg)
- Capacity: 512Wh
- Outputs: 4 AC outputs, 500W total
- Combines power and portability
- Fast charging
- Double the capacity of smaller River 2 series options for extended shooting
- May be heavy to carry along with other camera and lighting equipment
The EcoFlow River 2 Pro is one of the market’s most powerful portable solar generators. It gives you the power to run appliances like a mini-fridge for photoshoot snacks or studio lights, as well as charge your devices. With a capacity of up to 768Wh, the River 2 Pro can go for days without being recharged—perfect for extended photo shoots or camp-outs to get the perfect shot.
- Size: 10.6 x 10.2 x 8.9 in (270 x 260 x 226 mm)
- Weight: 17.2 lbs (7.8 kg )
- Capacity: 768Wh
- Outputs: 4 AC outputs, 800W total
- Charges in one hours with AC or 4 hours with solar
- Ideal when you need to power several devices
- Highest capacity of the series for multi-day photoshoots
- Charging speed depends on which devices you’re charging
The EcoFlow DELTA mini is a serious power source focused on giving you the most power for as long as possible, wherever you are. It’s small but robust enough to charge your larger appliances, like laptops, desktop setups, and heavy-duty equipment. The DELTA Mini delivers impressive power in a little package.
- Size: 14.9 × 7.2 x 9.4 in (37.8 × 18.4 x 24 cm)
- Weight: 23.6 lbs (10.7kg)
- Capacity: 882Wh
- Outputs: 7 AC outputs, 2 USB-A outputs, one USB-A Fast Charge outlet, 1 USB-C output, 1 car output, and 2 DC5521 outputs for serious appliance and equipment charging
- Solar charger: Options for 110W (2x), 160W (2x), and 220W (1x) solar panels
- Powers large appliances
- Well-made, sturdy feel
- Fan vents for thermal management
- Remote management capabilities w/EcoFlow app
- Limited USB ports
- No option for wireless charging
The original model from EcoFlow’s DELTA line is known for its exceptional power output, innovative charging technology, and impressive capacity. While the River series can power your auxiliary equipment, the DELTA line brings you peace of mind and reliable power for anything from your full digital camera set up to your laptop.
- Size: 15.7 × 8.3 × 10.6in (40 × 21 × 27cm)
- Weight: 30.9lbs (14.0kg)
- Capacity: 1260Wh
- Outputs: 7 AC outputs, 2 USB-A outputs, 2 USB-A Fast Charge outputs, 2 USB-C outputs, 1 car output for long-term charging and powering
- Solar charging: Options for 110W (2x), 160W (2x), and 220W (1x) solar panels
- Powers full digital camera setups and laptops
- High-quality build
- Advanced charging
- Heavier weight not as portable as Mini
The DELTA Max is the big brother of the DELTA line—made for those who need even more power on the go or need to keep things running if the power goes out. With a capacity of up to 2016Wh, it can charge your devices for days or keep your appliances running all night.
- Size: 16.9 × 8.3 × 11.0 in (43 × 21 × 28 cm)
- Weight: 35.3 lbs (16.0 kg)
- Capacity: 2016Wh
- Outputs: 10 AC outputs, 2 USB-A outputs, 2 USB-A Fast Charge outputs, 2 USB-C outputs, 1 Car Power output, and 1 DC5521 output
- Solar charger: 2 x 400W solar panels
- Perfect for long shoot days—can power a laptop for up to 44 hours, desktop up to 6.5 hours
- Recharge in under 2 hours
- Adjust charge rate or monitor input/output manually via the app
- Heavier and requires two handles to carry
The DELTA Pro provides full backup power for your studio. With a capacity of up to 3600Wh and just about 3 hours needed for charging time, it can juice up quickly and charge your devices for days or keep your appliances running all night.
Plus, you can double or triple the capacity with the EcoFlow DELTA Pro Smart Extra Battery. It adds 84 lbs, but getting longer runtime for your photoshoot appliances and equipment is worth it.
- Size: 25 x 11.2 x 16.4in (63.5 x 28.5 x 41.6 cm)
- Weight: 99 lbs (45.0kg)
- Capacity: 3600Wh (expandable up to 10.8kWg with 2 extra batteries)
- Outputs: 9 AC outputs, 2 USB-A outputs, 2 USB Fast Charge outputs, 2 USB-C outputs, 1 car output, 2 DC5521 outputs for comprehensive power
- Solar charging: Up to 4 x 22W solar panels
- Over 150% of the capacity of the DELTA Max
- Fast charging – can get up to 70% in just 1.5 hours
- Expandable battery system for even more power
- Wheels to make it more portable
- High-capacity provides backup energy for your studio during an outage
- Heavier, not ideal for mobile photo shoots
What to Look for in a Solar Generator for Photo Shoots
Keep the following in mind when looking for a solar generator for your photo shoots.
Make sure the generator you choose has the capacity to run all of your devices. If you’re unsure how much power your devices will need, check their wattage requirements.
If you have a lot of photoshoot equipment, like lights, fans, cameras, and computers, or plan on using them for extended periods, you’ll need a larger capacity generator. If you only need to power a few smaller devices, like a camera, phone, and ring light, for a short time, a smaller generator will suffice.
Keep in mind that the size and weight will also affect its portability. A larger capacity generator will be more challenging to carry around, so make sure to factor that into your decision.
When choosing a generator, consider what devices and appliances you’ll be powering. If you’re looking to power a laptop, you’ll need a generator with a DC output. And if you want to charge multiple devices simultaneously, look for a generator with numerous USB ports.
Your generator’s run time is just as important as its size and output. After all, what good is a generator if it can only run your devices for 20 minutes?
If you’re only shooting for a few hours, you won’t need as much power or runtime as someone who’s shooting all day.
Now that you know what to look for in a solar generator, you can decide which one is right for you. Shop EcoFlow today to find the perfect portable power solution for your photography needs.