The number of blackouts and power grid failures continues to increase. Extreme weather events and aging grid infrastructure mean you need to be ready for the power to go out in your home. A backup battery solution for your home is one of the most efficient ways to keep the lights on when a blackout comes.
A home backup battery provides a safety net when you need to protect your family against a power loss. It delivers clean power, unlike a home standby generator that relies on fossil fuels. With battery backup solutions, you get energy security and peace of mind.
The best home power backup battery solution depends on what appliances you need to run during an outage. Whether a targeted backup or a whole-house solution makes more sense depends on your home, budget, and electricity consumption needs.
Check out the five best home power battery backup solutions for 2023 and see which best suits your needs.
1. EcoFlow DELTA 2 Portable Power Station
The DELTA 2 Portable Power Station is a medium-capacity plug-and-play power station suitable for extended power outages. Depending on your needs, you can expand the power output and storage capacity from its initial 1 kWh rating to 2 kWh or 3 kWh.
The higher capacity ratings allow you to power most appliances and electronic devices through an extended blackout. The DELTA 2 powers up quickly using AC (household) electricity — an industry-best 0-80% capacity in just 50 minutes. Like all EcoFlow portable power stations, it can also recharge using solar panels.
With multiple charging solutions, you’ll always be ready for a potential outage. And because it is portable, you can store it easily and bring it out when the lights go out.
- 1 kWh of capacity, expandable to up to 3 kWh
- Can connect solar panels for solar charging
- Charges to 80% in 50 minutes
- Solar recharge in 3-6 hours
- 6X long-lasting battery
- 5-year warranty
- Fast AC charging
- Plug-and-play technology
- Powers 90% of appliances
- Compact for easy storage and access
- Control from anywhere with the EcoFlow app
- Price doesn’t include solar panels
- Lower capacity than other options
2. EcoFlow DELTA Pro Portable Power Station
The EcoFlow DELTA Pro Portable Power Station is a higher capacity option than the DELTA 2, starting at 3.6 kWh and expandable to 25 kWh. The DELTA Pro can run multiple high-wattage appliances and expand to a whole house backup power solution. It provides the plug-and-play options of the DELTA 2 but with a much higher capacity to power more of your appliances and systems for longer.
The DELTA Pro is at the heart of the EcoFlow home ecosystem and is the best option for meeting whole house backup power needs. Despite its enormous power output and storage capacity, the PRO remains portable. With suitcase-style wheels and a handle, the 99 lb (45 kg) DELTA Pro is the ultimate in compact power solutions.
- 3.6 kWh capacity, expandable to 25 kWh
- 3600W-7200W AC output
- Multi-Charge 6500W charging
- Solar panels available for recharging
- Charge fully in 1.8 hours
- Huge power output and storage capacity
- Can power a whole house
- Works as a standalone or integrates with your home’s existing wiring
- Rechargeable at EV stations worldwide
- Portable enough for off-grid excursions
- More expensive than DELTA 2
- Solar panels come at an additional cost
3. Advanced Whole Home Power Backup Solution
The DELTA Pro can provide enough power for the average home to run essential appliances during a one-day blackout.
For more extended power outages (and greater energy security), the advanced EcoFlow Whole Home Power Backup Solution combines two DELTA Pro portable power stations with a double voltage hub. With a combined output and storage capacity of 7200W, you can fully power the average home for 1-2 days. This solution connects to your existing home circuit panel and electrical wiring using a transfer switch or power input (if available).
If you want to be prepared for more extended outages, you can add up to 4 DELTA Pro smart extra batteries, increasing your total energy storage capacity to 21.6 kWh. With that much storage, you should be able to power your home for about a week.
You can recharge the entire system within hours between power outages, ensuring you’re ready the next time the lights go out. Like all EcoFlow’s portable power stations, you can also recharge the DELTA Pros using solar panels.
You may also qualify for government incentives when you purchase home battery backup solution — especially if you add solar panels
- 7.2 kWh capacity, expandable to 21.6 kWh
- 7200W AC output
- Up to 240-volt output
- Automatic 20ms switchover time
- Expandable based on your individual home backup needs
- Automatic switchover gives uninterrupted electricity during an outage
- Capable of providing full power for up to a week in an outage
- Full recharge between uses in under 6 hours
- Powerful output to operate all home appliances and devices
- Can control and monitor available capacity and usage in the EcoFlow app
- Solar charging available with optional solar panels
- May qualify for significant tax breaks and incentives
- Requires a significant upfront investment
- May provide more storage capacity than you need in most outages
4. Smart Home Ecosystem
The EcoFlow Smart Home Ecosystem also uses DELTA Pro portable power stations and a Smart Home Panel that integrates directly with your home circuits. The setup enables you to monitor your usage and maintain better control over how quickly you’re consuming your backup storage capacity.
The Smart Home Ecosystem lets you know where more power gets distributed, giving the ability to ration use for some appliances and keep the focus on delivering power for the essentials. You have the tools you need to manage the process.’
As with the whole house power backup solution above, you can add multiple DELTA Pros and Smart Batteries to expand your output and storage capacity. The DELTA Pro also integrates seamlessly with the Smart Generator Dual Fuel giving you a last line of defence by using propane and gasoline when your battery storage is depleted.
- 3.6 kWh capacity, expandable to 25 kWh
- 3600W-7200W AC output
- Smart Home Panel easily integrates with home circuits
- Smart Panel automatically recharges batteries between uses
- Add solar panels to generate clean, renewable energy
- You can use the EcoFlow app to monitor and control your Home Ecosystem from anywhere you have internet access
- Smart Panel switches instantly to backup power in an outage
- Enough power to get you through up to a week of outage time
- Gives you remote control to manage capacity and output
- Power batteries back up quickly once utilities restore power to your home
- Connect optional solar panels to generate power
- Requires professional electrician to install Smart Panel to home electrical circuits
What Is the Best Home Battery Backup System?
All things being equal, more power is better during a blackout. Except for the DELTA 2, all the options above begin with DELTA Pro portable power stations. It’s no wonder: these high-capacity units deliver and store enough power to keep your home up and running during a blackout.
Part of deciding on the best solution depends on the size of your home and the number of appliances you need to keep running during a blackout. If you are setting up off-grid power for a tiny house, your needs may drive you to a different solution from what you need for a large home and a broad array of appliances. Your household energy consumption will determine the power output and storage you need to keep your home running during a blackout.
The duration of a blackout should also significantly impact your purchase decision. What you need for a daylong power outage differs substantially from what you need for a week.
For maximum energy security, the Smart Home Ecosystem is the superior choice. Over the last ten years, weather-related outages increased by 78% from the previous decade, and, thanks to climate change, it’s likely to get worse.
With extreme weather events more frequent and aging power infrastructure less reliable than ever, the Smart Home Ecosystem gives you the best ability to measure and adjust your usage during an outage. It also gives you the option to expand your output and storage capacity to deliver the power you need.
Which Battery Backup System Is Right for You?
While the Smart Home Ecosystem is the top choice here, it may not make sense for you. It’s a significant upfront investment and is arguably overkill for blackouts that only last an hour or two. Only you can determine what appliances and systems requiring electricity — like heating and AC — are essential during an outage.
Here are some crucial factors to keep in mind.
Your Power Needs
Two DELTA Pros and additional smart batteries may be overkill if you have a tiny home or only want to power a few appliances. The DELTA 2, paired with solar panels, provides an affordable solar generator for relatively low-level backup needs.
The RIVER 2 series is an even more budget-friendly alternative — albeit with less storage and output capacity.
If you’re on a tight budget, determine what devices and appliances are actually essential, add up their power consumption, and purchase the smallest option that meets your needs.
Number of Blackouts
No matter where you live, you are susceptible to a power outage. That said, if you experience only rare and short blackouts, you may not need to invest as much in backup power as someone who experiences power outages and extreme weather events regularly.
Your budget may drive the level of investment you can make. Working with a smaller budget may mean it’s wiser to start with a smaller battery like the DELTA 2 and slowly build up your system by adding more smart batteries, solar panels, and a smart panel over time.
As you’re budgeting for a home backup system, remember there are also solar rebate incentives and federal tax credits. The savings may make solar power the smart choice for your home backup system and your budget.
Your electricity needs don’t just go away when the grid fails. The right backup power solution gives you peace of mind and energy security.
EcoFlow has a wide range of options for portable power stations, home backup batteries, and solar generators. Chances are, we have the right solution for you.